Real Estate RVA Biz & Gov

Jefferson Park Fountain before CAR in December

The Friends of Jefferson Park have word that the the long-rumored Jefferson Park Fountain will be presented to CAR on December 9th:

The plans have arrived! The City of Richmond will be presenting the design plans for the new Jefferson Park fountain to the Commission of Architectural Review on Tuesday, December 9. The Friends of Jefferson Park are excited about this new development in this long-awaited project. We will post more information when it becomes available.

[sep]

Screen Shot 2014-11-07 at 3.56.12 PM
[sep]

Screen Shot 2014-11-07 at 3.55.37 PM

CAR to consider store front on Jefferson Avenue, new house for Marshall

CAR to consider new mixed-use for Venable Street

Bill Conkle
Bill Conkle

Bill Conkle liked this on Facebook.

gwomp
gwomp

Cool fountain! without trying to sound cranky,,, Does anybody else think that the locked bathroom/pavilion is not being utilized enough to warrant its existence? As well as an even better location for the fountain.
Just saying. Peace!

Joseph B. Fawley
Joseph B. Fawley

Joseph B. Fawley liked this on Facebook.

Bennett Smith
Bennett Smith

Bennett Smith liked this on Facebook.

Alicia Hogue Conrad
Alicia Hogue Conrad

Alicia Hogue Conrad liked this on Facebook.

K
K

From a landscape-design perspective, this seems rather pretentious for this park, n’est pas? It’s the sort of fountain that belongs in a formal garden.

Eric S. Huffstutler

Or that several reports have been made about the grass/weeds not being mowed and is 5 feet high along the Marshall Street including around the Cedar Street steps side and nothing has ever been done by the city?

Eric S. Huffstutler

K… I am hoping they want to upscale the park more since it is both historic (train) and the view for tourists. But they need to take care of landscaping issues if they are trying for a certain image.

Melissa
Melissa

If I’m not mistaken, Jeff Park used to have a fountain and/or the proposed fountain was the original and has been refurbished? Also, whose leg do we Chimborazans need to hump to get a replacement for the beautiful fountain that used to be in the center of Chimbo Park?

Kathleen
Kathleen

I have always thought that Chimborazo needed a fountain but I had no idea that there was once one there. Any old pics available?? I would be glad to help and/or contribute to a Chimborazo fountain project. Not willing to hump any legs, however. 🙂

K
K

Thanks for the postcard, John M. This would be an excellent fountain for today’s Jefferson Park: Simple in design, easier to maintain than the currently proposed thing, and less vulnerable to vandalism. Plus, it would be a great place for kids to wade in during summer months and for adults to cool their feet–the ultimate in parkish user friendliness.
I don’t know who came up with the fancy design pictured above, but I’d love to see more practical heads prevail. Bring back the old fountain!

Bill Hartsock
Bill Hartsock

I think the original fountain was at the junction of Mosby and Princess Anne. Couldn’t it go there where it can be better seen?

Eric S. Huffstutler

If the fountain has been made then it is a done deal and live with a nice formal setting more in tune to tourist than locals. We have plenty of concrete statuary in our back yard including a multi-tier fountain and can attest concrete fountains are not cheap!

Eric S. Huffstutler

Bill.. what kind of “view” of the city do you have with the fountain in Mosby Court? How safe would it be there and I doubt tourists will go out of their way to sit around it there let alone feel safe?

I think the idea is to have a nice serene oasis to sit and look at the water flow and listen to the sounds while taking in the view of the city. The design fits in with the surrounding 19th century architecture. A nice place for tourists to sit and relax.

Bill conkle
Bill conkle

Neighbors: The historic fountain mold was chosen to give a nod to the former fountain at the intersection of Mosby and Princess Anne. It is quite similar. The former location was not an option, due to the funding source – The J. Fulmer Bright Foundation only allows improvements on park property. Additionally, the former location was damaged on a regular basis by cars missing the turn. While it was also my preferred site, I understood the reasoning. The proposed location was chosen to take advantage of the incredible views from Jefferson Park and not to interfere with existing uses of… Read more »

ann
ann

The interpretive kiosk/signage is a really good idea.

Eric S. Huffstutler

Bill, what do you suggest about getting that overgrown jungle of grass, shrubs, vines cut down and mowed properly along the Marshall Street side? I have reported it to the city a couple of times to no avail and so it is still an eyesore as well as health hazard (rodents, bugs, possible snakes). Not to mention that the steps are hidden and another danger for pedestrians. Some good it did to plant decorative flowering shrubs since they are now overpowered by weeds and tall grass.

Anne
Anne

Here’s another photo of the Chimborazo fountain.

Bill Hartsock
Bill Hartsock

#12 – Eric, Mosby and Princess Anne is in the park, not in Mosby Court. I have to agree with Bill Conkle that it probably would be better in the new location.

Eric S. Huffstutler

Bill Hartsock… thank you. I stand corrected. Not sure where my mind is these days. Forgot which drawer I put it in 🙂 On that note I have to agree that the intersection where the original one was would be nicer but you will probably end up with some drunk running the corner too fast and crashing into it and bye-bye fountain. I think years ago there were roadways that ran in and through the park from aerial photos I have seen. And people did not drive as aggressively as they do these days. Getting back to the park. I… Read more »

Bill Hartsock
Bill Hartsock

John,

Could you rerun the photos I gave you of Jefferson Park from the air. It may be of interest, here, again, and help Eric get his head out of the sock drawer!