East End News

Five days to raise $500 to share and donate these old photos

I keep thinking about that amazing collection of photos of the renovation of the 2300 block Broad Street from 1963 from the other day. It’s a specific and remarkable collection, and I would love to have the photos more widely seen Towards that end, I’ve set up a crowdsourcing campaign to purchase the photos, scan them to share out, and then donate the originals to a local historic preservation group. I would like raise $500 to purchase the Broad Street photos from 1963 and the photos from the dedication of the WRVA building in 1968. I’ve got no tangible rewards that I can offer, but this: if you can donate $50, you’ll get a month of free advertising on CHPN.

HELP FUND THIS MISSION TO AQUIRE, SCAN, AND DONATE THESE SETS OF PHOTOS

[sep]
Carrington Square
Carrington Square

Documenting the rebirth of Carrington Square (1960s)

John M

Play ball

John M

Dedication of the WRVA building (1968)

John M

chpn 10/31/2014 at 6:54 PM

We’re halfway there in just about 4 hours, this is amazing!

Need $250, can you chip $20?

Alli Alligood 10/31/2014 at 8:01 PM

Happy to chip in. This is great! But would the Valentine be a more accessible/better repository for the photos?

chpn 10/31/2014 at 8:07 PM

Thought about that, ’cause I love me some Valentine. Will offer to HRF first because of the institutional connection, I think. Also Lib of Va an option.

crd 10/31/2014 at 8:23 PM

Library of Virginia would digitize and offer to the public; not sure if the Valentine has that capability but they are a good choice. Not sure if HRF would offer to the public – perhaps a copy to them for their records could happen?

Bill Hartsock 10/31/2014 at 8:23 PM

I would prefer it go to the Valentine. It’s more accessible and more in keeping with their broader mission.

Thomas 10/31/2014 at 8:44 PM

As architects working on rehabilitation projects we use the Valentine’s online photo repository quite often.

crd 10/31/2014 at 9:41 PM

Actually I don’t think he was ever involved with HRF, and I question the note on the photo that he was President – they’ve misspelled it as the Historical Richmond Foundation when in fact it is the Historic Richmond Foundation. If memory serves, he was involved with the Poe Museum, and he was pretty eccentric. So John, I suggest you knock HRF off the list and consider the other suggestions, if this comes to pass. Thanks.

crd 10/31/2014 at 9:49 PM

John, Style has an article from awhile back, he was with the Poe Museum, not HRF.

And after reading the article, I’m wondering how the photos ended up at the antique shop. Weird.

chpn 11/01/2014 at 6:43 AM

Thanks for the digging, y’all. This bumps Valentine up to 1st choice, for sure.

Katherine J 11/01/2014 at 9:33 AM

Has anyone asked Baskervill for some corporate philanthropy?

Right on Broad 11/01/2014 at 12:12 PM

I just donated, but for goodness sake, DON’T consider HRF a repository of anything other than elitist sherry sippers.

Send these photos to the Valentine where they will do some good as we will never, ever see them again if they go to HRF.

chpn 11/01/2014 at 2:59 PM

I’ve had cash dropped off in person and the goal has been met!

Thank you to Brad Ruckart Real Estate Group, Melissa Pocock, Alli Alligood, dcooley3, bollingbrook, dvk5f, and three anonymous donors.

A talk with Philip Johnson (1968) ‹ CHPN 11/02/2014 at 9:02 AM

[…] chpn on Five days to raise $500 to share and donate these old photos […]

Dale (LVA) 11/06/2014 at 12:35 PM

Congratulations ! This binder of photos was recently brought to my attention and I was headed to the antique store to check it out. If you decide to place the photographs in an institution, please consider the Library of Virginia. If not the originals, we would also be happy just to scan the originals and add the electronic copies to our collection. Thanks –Dale

Meg (Valentine) 11/07/2014 at 2:25 PM

What a wonderful community effort to preserve these images! If you do ultimately decide to gift the collection to the Valentine, please contact me (I’m the archives/photograph curator). We do actively digitize photographs in our collection and make them available through an online database.

Eric S. Huffstutler 11/07/2014 at 5:14 PM

It seems like everyone wants a copy of this for their archives so John, what is the plan?

Documenting the rebirth of Carrington Square (1960s) - Church Hill People's News | Richmond, Virginia 01/04/2017 at 4:13 PM

[…] English (1960s president of the Historic Richmond Foundation) appeared at Cold Harbor Antiques. A collection was raised, and the documents were purchased to be scanned, shared and donated to a good […]

Bill Hartsock 01/04/2017 at 4:38 PM

Where did they eventually go?

John M 01/04/2017 at 6:14 PM

@Bill – Nowhere yet, I’d needed to get this final scan done. I’m going to contact the Valentine and go from there.

Bill Hartsock 01/04/2017 at 8:12 PM

OK. Hope you still head to the Valentine. They are doing the best job and have been the most proactive in promoting the city.