East End News

New bike lane for MLK Bridge

I Have a Dream Festival

Cyclus Bike Shop Bike Swap!

Bike Lanes, New Traffic Rules, and You

Jacob C.

Church Hillian 09/11/2014 at 11:17 AM

Just got back from Seattle and trying not to compare. If RVA became more bike friendly, watch out!

Gordo 09/11/2014 at 11:22 AM

This will be awesome if 1) they create barriers to protect it from cars and 2) they find a way to keep it from being filled with broken glass

G. 09/11/2014 at 12:37 PM

@4 Awesome-ness takes a bit of time (and patience); there is certainly no elfin magic going on in RVA – fully constructed lanes do not just appear. As is, it is already better than it was this morning when I was driving to work.

Adding to #3 Gordo’s “if” list:

3) They can convince cyclists to travel in the direction of traffic (these lane can not facilitate bi-directional bike traffic) – “salmoning” will be an issue to address.

Juliellen 09/11/2014 at 1:13 PM

@5 This was supposed to have been done a year + ago. Don’t get me wrong, I think it’s a great improvement and I’ll use it. I hope they don’t lose momentum and quit half way. It’s happened before.

jean mcdaniel 09/11/2014 at 1:55 PM

I am not familiar with the rules / laws covering bike lanes, I just always give right of way.

Is there someone who is knowledgable and would be willing to post the basics? Or maybe post a web site?

Gordo 09/11/2014 at 2:01 PM

From everything I have read and seen, there is definately a group in city hall with good intentions towards cyclist…Unfortunately, they have to fight for every penny spent.

Good News and Weekend Events! | Bikeable Richmond 09/11/2014 at 2:20 PM

[…] that’s right.  According to Church Hill People’s News, crews are out today converting the rightmost lane on each side of the MLK Bridge (aka Leigh Street […]

Alex 09/11/2014 at 2:36 PM

That’s the police getting a head start on drawing out the chalk lines for any cyclist brave enough to try crossing.

Juliellen 09/11/2014 at 3:06 PM

#7, a buffered bike lane like this is intended to give bicyclists their own lane without interference from cars. The buffer visually distinguishes the bike lane from the car travel lane.

Protected bike lanes have a physical vertical barrier of some sort, like bollards. We don’t have those in Richmond…yet. Protected bike lanes provide additional protection for cyclists from cars.

If you have additional questions, please feel free to ask.

FYI, RideRichmond is holding a Traffic Skills 101 course this Saturday. Details here: http://www.riderichmond.net/2014/08/traffic-skills-101-class-announced-for-september/

We would welcome participants who are interested in learning how to be a safer and more effective bicyclist.

Gordo 09/12/2014 at 8:51 AM

Geez, just some concrete planters would make a world of difference here. As is, I believe Alex is right…

Erin 09/16/2014 at 11:52 AM

This is awesome!! However, I work at MCV and people are oblivious to the bright green in the road!! Cars drive over it like it doesn’t exist!! There needs to be some sort of barrier to keep cars from entering the bike lane, or there are going to be a lot of bikers heading to MCV’s ER.

New bike lanes for Oliver Hill Way ‹ CHPN 11/05/2014 at 7:01 AM

[…] Hill Way has joined the MLK Bridge and Brookland Park Boulevard in getting nice new bike […]