Pets

Three sought in Fairfield cat killing (UPDATE)

Richmond Police officers are asking for the public’s help to identify three juveniles who intentionally allowed their dogs to kill a family’s cat.

At approximately 7 p.m. on Sunday, Aug. 17, the three juveniles were seen entering a yard that was not theirs in the 2100 block of Selden Street and intentionally provoking their dogs to attack and kill a cat.

The boys, who could face charges of animal cruelty among others, can be seen in the attached photos.

Detectives ask anyone with any information about this crime to please call Lt. Jody Blackwell at (804) 646-3387 or Crime Stoppers at 780-1000. Citizens can also text Crime Stoppers at 274637, using the key word “ITip” followed by your tip. Both Crime Stoppers methods are anonymous.

Missing this fella?

“We need to work together to prevent more unwanted kittens..”

Low-Cost Vaccine Clinic in Mechanicsville

Jacob C.

Danielle 08/22/2014 at 12:59 PM

Ten bucks says they’re training a fight dog. Absolutely disgusting.

I hope RCPD finds these kids AND the dog fighting ring they’re participating in and prosecutes EVERYONE involved.

Katherine Jester 08/22/2014 at 1:11 PM

It wouldn’t bother me at all to give any one of these kids a taste of their own medicine.

Kai 08/22/2014 at 1:23 PM

Absolutely disgusting. We found our family cat killed – evidently by a dog – in our yard several years ago. Since there didn’t appear to be a way for a dog to get into – or out of – our fenced yard, we always thought the incident was very strange. Now this has really got me wondering.

Haley 08/22/2014 at 1:54 PM

I think the punishment should be to put them in a jail cell and let in 5 of those fighting dogs. Leave them in there for a day all together. Get what they give…

JessOfRVA 08/22/2014 at 2:05 PM

Anyone who does something like this doesn’t qualify as human. Harming the defenseless is beneath contempt.

UnionHillian 08/22/2014 at 2:10 PM

Not thinking very Christian thoughts right now. I will be circulating this info w/photos, and putting *real* energy into helping to see this get solved. I have pets, and this has pushed my “go” button in a big way.

jean mcdaniel 08/22/2014 at 2:18 PM

I am not a cat person, but this is NOT acceptable!!

I agree that they are probably training the dog to fight. Are there any better pics of the dogs? And Haley, ditto, ditto.

MHB 08/22/2014 at 2:53 PM

I hope they catch the bastards but if they do, no doubt they’ll only get a slap on the wrist because they’ll be painted as just ‘young, innocent boys who sang in the choir every Sunday’. No doubt their role model is Michael Vick.

Jay 08/22/2014 at 2:53 PM

It’s really messed up if this happened as reported. But announcing that you would like to see these kids attacked by dogs, possibly killed depending on how I read one of the comments, and stating “anyone who does something like this doesn’t qualify as human”……you have to get why that’s also messed up, right? They’re human, quite possibly children, after all. We live in a messed up society that devalues most life, human and animal….this is clearly an example of it, but it might also be a good time not to practice that yourselves.

chpn 08/22/2014 at 5:07 PM

14-year-old arrested for killing cat, Richmond police seek 2 more

A 14-year-old has been arrested and charged with cruelty to animals in connection with the death of a Richmond cat. […] The teen now faces a felony charge. Police are still looking for help identify the other two juveniles, who could also face animal cruelty charges.

jean mcdaniel 08/22/2014 at 5:34 PM

Thank you VERY MUCH to the people who took the video and called the police.

The cat owner was on the news and he has displayed a level of dignity that is remarkable. I am so sorry about your cat!

Kathleen Sanders 08/22/2014 at 5:41 PM

I’ve fostered 2 dogs previously that were seized in dog fighting raids. Fighting dogs don’t attack humans. That’s why people fight pit bulls – they’d never bite their handler. Just needed to address those comments.

These kids need help and giving them some of their ‘own medicine’ is not going to help them. Abusers abuse because that’s all they know.

Gretta 08/22/2014 at 8:01 PM

Behavior like this is serial-killer level. I generally forgive most things, but I hope the horrible horrible people who did this (they are not kids anymore) are put away for a long, long time. I wish it would be their whole lives. Unforgivable.

Cadeho 08/22/2014 at 9:19 PM

I heard this ruckus on Sunday and thought it normal neighborhood noise as kids walked down the street. They are often loud. I looked out my window and saw them and the dogs, but thought they were just walking up the street. I had no idea what was happening. I’m sorry to hear of my neighbor’s loss. That was a beautiful and friendly cat.

Tim H 08/22/2014 at 11:59 PM

I’m really disturbed that we can have 17 comments on this topic and yet we only have one each on “Man Shot on Coalter Street” and “Man Shot on 31st Street”. Where are our priorities? Where are the witnesses for these other crimes?

Lee 08/23/2014 at 1:23 AM

@Jay: I see nothing particularly forgivable or worthwhile about people like this. Even if all they’ve known is abusive behavior, at some point people aren’t capable of any real redemption. And putting them in prison is a waste of time and money/just makes the situation worse. People want vindication and they want people like this to go away/cease existing. Thinking they should be mauled just like the cat is a bit extreme, but…why not?

Jay B 08/23/2014 at 9:44 AM

“But it’s not by accident the great religions, the great writers talk about how the person who forgives is liberated, maybe even more than the person who is forgiven,” — Hilary Clinton

Jay B 08/23/2014 at 9:47 AM

I too agree that what these young men/teens did is beyond reprehensible but to show such callous indifference toward the lives and welfare of sinners is an abject failure of humanity on the part of many posters… Ours is a society that is utterly unforgiving and its IMHO one of our greatest shames.

Jay B 08/23/2014 at 9:51 AM

Many of these posters are more than likely Christians or Catholics and we often forget that Jesus showed us the way… To forgive but not forget is to release hate and invite love into your heart. It aids in making the world a better place. Should they face severe punishment ABSOLUTELY however nestled in that punishment should be tenets of forgiveness and redemption. Not spending the rest of their lives being a burden on society locked up to the tune 30-40k a year….

Aud 08/23/2014 at 10:49 AM

@Tim H I don’t think people should judged on their priorities based on whether or not they post a CHPN comment. I think we can be irate about multiple issues at the same time, regardless how many comments you count on each article.

edg 08/23/2014 at 11:21 AM

Jay B – Catholics are Christians. Christianity is a religion with many donominations, including Protestantism and Catholicism.

Jay B 08/23/2014 at 11:42 AM

Im uniquely aware of that although I appreciate the ecumenical history lesson … I was merely intimating that both derive their foundational ideas in the belief of Jesus Christ who would’ve forgiven these sinners….

Lee 08/23/2014 at 12:18 PM

@Jay B – I think the expectation is that these people will be a burden on society no matter what we do with them. We either pay for their incarceration or fall victim to their criminality. Forgiveness and punishment are not mutually exclusive. And there is also the need to protect society from people who will never change. Again, I think what most of the posters here want us to see these sorts of offenders dealt with in a way that provides vindication and prevents them from committing any further crimes

Alex 08/23/2014 at 12:29 PM

Tim,

A lot has to do with this being a little more gruesome of an event. Sure the shootings are tragic but I think the general consensus is often these turn out to be people involved in unsavory business fighting it out. This story involves a poor defenseless creature being mauled for sport.

Mindy Broyer 08/24/2014 at 11:49 AM

Tim, I see what you’re saying. It’s a trend I have noticed as well. Property issues seem to draw much more interest than things that affect people. (In general, I know this particular story is not property related).
It’s something I’ve been mulling over.

chpn 08/27/2014 at 11:35 AM

From the RPD:

Two Juveniles Still Sought for Killing Cat

Richmond Police officers are again asking for the public’s help to identify two juveniles who intentionally allowed their dogs to kill a family’s cat. They can be seen in the attached, enhanced photos.

At approximately 7 p.m. on Sunday, Aug. 17, three juveniles were seen entering a yard that was not theirs in the 2100 block of Selden Street and intentionally provoking their dogs to attack and kill a cat.

One 14-year-old male juvenile was arrested and charged with felony animal cruelty on Friday.

Additional photos are still available on our website: http://richmondvapolice.blogspot.com/2014/08/three-juveniles-sought-for-killing-cat.html

Jeb Wash 08/27/2014 at 1:44 PM

I’m guessing the 14 year old isn’t talking.

Aud 08/27/2014 at 2:22 PM

Perhaps I read over this – who took the pictures or video?

John Murden Jr. 08/27/2014 at 3:08 PM

Haven’t seen that mentioned anywhere.