East End News

New life at the old Wally’s

There are new windows and paint on the long-vacant storefront at 2125 Fairmount Avenue, with no indication of what might be in the works. Anybody got anything?

The store was the location of several fatal shootings in the early 1990s as the Fairmount Grocery Store and Kim’s Market. The violence spread into the blocks and alleys around the store on Fairmount Avenue and 22nd Street, and it has only been in the past five years that violence and prostitution in the vicinity really dropped off.

The building was listed for sale for $180,000 last August.

Street Closure Alert: Fairmount Avenue

Street Closure Alert: Fairmount Ave

Help needed at 23rd and Fairmount Avenue!

PTG 02/12/2014 at 1:34 PM

I tried calling the owner, but his number has changed since we last spoke. At one point they were running a recording studio in the back portion; the color scheme would work for something like that, so perhaps they are filling the building? The painters didn’t seem to know what was going in when I asked.

Still trying to decide my thoughts on such a bold choice. It’s not what I’d call “Historic Fairmount”, but it is better than the patchy, flacking, vandalized grey.

john_m 02/12/2014 at 1:39 PM

Yeah, I couldn’t find a working phone # either.

I’m way less sensitive to the paint choices than the resized windows.

Brett 02/12/2014 at 2:22 PM

Pumped on progress. Prostitutes boogied to the ball fields.

PTG 02/12/2014 at 2:23 PM

It has a feel of something you’d see on Cary or Main. The windows caught my eye too.

I’ll keep trying to track down an answer.

PTG 02/23/2014 at 9:34 PM

Saw the front lobby, looks to be the future home of JFam Entertainment and Footwerk Productions.

john_m 02/24/2014 at 4:58 AM

I’ve been trying to follow up on this, but haven’t been able to catch up with anyone.

PTG 03/03/2014 at 10:17 PM

Every so often the I see the security door open, but never see them coming in or out. They are in there a lot more now, though.

Did you get the picture I sent of the lobby?