Crime

Pro-ballpark signs stolen in Union Hill

Keep an eye on CBS6 for a report about the theft of “I Support Shockoe Ballpark” signs in Union Hill. A resident says that at least 6 signs were recently stolen in two blocks.

Arrest made in Blakey Street killing

ABC store on Venable St broken into

Pizza Bones Opening Up in Union Hill

Houdon
Houdon

Signs on our Union Hill block were also taken. Ridiculous. The overwhelming majority of my neighbors favor the project.

Pierce
Pierce

Ah classic “Hill” mentality! I am all for tolerance, only if it agrees with my view. Classy move sign thief!

Leon Bradby
Leon Bradby

Leon Bradby liked this on Facebook.

Brad
Brad

I want a sign for my yard. Where do I get one?

Bill 3
Bill 3

Agreed. Where can we get these signs?

Thornley1
Thornley1

@Houdon & Pierce

Your statement that “an overwhelming majority” of your (Union Hill) neighbors support the Ballpark is sadly & completely inaccurate. Or perhaps is it purposely meant to misinform…? Either way, PLEASE don’t “speak” for all of us again. And ditto for “Pierce”: the “Hill” DOES NOT share one “mentality”. Union Hill is not known for the issues with tolerance you elude to. If your able to deduce that this thief comes from Union Hill, RPD could probably use your keen crime fighting skills.
Thank you in advance.

Jon Ondrak
Jon Ondrak

G.
G.

I would like a billboard-size sign to show my enthusiastic support!

RP
RP

What is wrong with people did we learn nothing from the Captain Buzzys fiasco. And thank you CHPN for once again adding fuel to the fire.

Three Strikes
Three Strikes

This is an interesting twist. I do not support the stealing of signs. Yet, proponents of this scam say this is NOT a deal about baseball yet what does your yard sign say?

I guess when the logic and numbers behind the economic impact fail you have to lean on something to support.

JD
JD

Im curious as well

John Vetrovec
John Vetrovec

@5 Thornley: I never do this, but since your post was over the top asinine and snarky, let’s work on a couple of things; first off, I know Houdon in real life, and if he says he knows his neighbors are in support, who are you to question him. I know who on my block supports and who opposes, in fact 32nd street has been safe from the sign thief thus far. Second, but since you are trying to seem informed, let’s work on your grammar. It’s allude not elude if you are meaning to refer to something. And your… Read more »

Thornley1
Thornley1

@Three Strikes

Darn well said. In fact, since other plans have also been proposed, now about “I support REAL Shockoe Development” signs…?

Thornley1
Thornley1

@John Vetrovec

Thank you Headmaster for so diligently Korreckting my Grah-mar. My passion against misinformation often leads me to post w/o spell checking or etc. Judging by your reaction though, you still understood my message with little difficulty.

Gosh, was that too snarky…?

Karen
Karen

Oh good Lord – all of you – grow up!

Jon Ondrak
Jon Ondrak

If you are interested in a new, or replacement yard sign please either email me at jon.ondrak@gmail.com or send me a text 804.229.6232. /?p=31860#comment-749266

Tim H
Tim H

I’m with Karen. Come on people!

RP
RP

If the signs are on city property they need to be taken down it’s illegal. That goes for pro or con.Come on people we are above this!

RP
RP

The supervisor at the City sign shop William Wynn says that you cannot place signs on city property unless they have the City logo on it and we as citizens can remove them.Lets have a neighborhood cleanup and not just stadium signs. That also means the two missing signs in the700 block of 23rd St.were not stolen they were put out illegally. And no l did not take your signs, as a matter of fact l believe the owner took them down and called the media.

FormerLibbyHillResident
FormerLibbyHillResident

“I declare open the Games of Church Hill celebrating the 2014 Olympiad of the modern era.”

Oops, wrong games. My bad.

craig
craig

if you want a sign for your house, you apparently just need to walk through union hill and there are ton of them laying around in people’s front yards not getting any use.

just snag one.

FormerLibbyHillResident
FormerLibbyHillResident

Actually, ANY sign placed in the public right of way or sidewalk that is not authorized by the City can be removed by any citizen w/o liability. The city logo has nothing to do with it.

That also includes the large “sandwich” boards in front of restaurants and the cigarette/lottery signs at C stores.

Houdon
Houdon

@thornley i’m sorry if you think i misrepresented the neighborhood. You know that’s not my intention.

Thanks for sticking up for me, Vetro!

Tanner Smith Pilcher
Tanner Smith Pilcher

Immature.

Gerard A. Dabney
Gerard A. Dabney

Gerard A. Dabney liked this on Facebook.

edg
edg

Okay – so were the stolen signs on the person’s yard or were they on city property? If the sign is in your front yard, that is NOT city property.

edg
edg

And if it is on someone’s front yard, that is not in the right of way, either.

Bill 3
Bill 3

I’ve requested a sign which will be placed in my front yard, not city property & not in the right of way. If I catch someone in the act of taking it, good luck to them.

Neighbor
Neighbor

No. 2 Pierce – you nailed it.

Erik
Erik

Who cares about a sign, I want season tickets.

CH Resident
CH Resident

Oh my, is this a sign of neighborhood discord ? Looking forward to the follow-up lawsuit over this seriously outbreak of sign stealilng … in U.H.
I am sure Hayden is available.

RP
RP

In case nobody is paying attention this isn’t a neighborhood fight it’s a city council fight now.To all the people on either side who want to put up signs to late and you are part of the problem.Maybe instead of giving the whole neighborhood a black eye you could meet in front of Saint Johns church with your flower pots and last side standing wins.I will warn you l intend to throw with the against side.Not because I’m that’s my position but I have no doubt my neighbor who put two signs in tree wells on the city sidewalk removed… Read more »

Neighbor
Neighbor

The “anti” people in this neighborhood seem quite violent.

prairiegirl
prairiegirl

Most of the time I love my neighborhood, but threads like this sicken me. We can all have our opinions, live and let live. We don’t have to put up signs illegally and we don’t have to steal signs that are placed on private property. We can just let everyone have their opinion on the matter but lets not get so ugly about it.

zedakerd
zedakerd

@31/2 & 2, totally agreed. The “I am this area and am the voice” mentality must go. My last RVA tax bill clearly showed you didn’t own my house.

Mark
Mark

For the record, to my knowledge only two of the many stolen signs in Union Hill were in the public right of way. I’ve now had 4 or 5 stolen from my private yard – and at least 4 nearby signs were taken from within private yards. The tone of opposition comments (and their tactics) is disappointing and has been from the start of this issue.

Thornley1
Thornley1

@Mark

I understand your reference to the “Oppositions tone”, however please clarify your inference about “tactics”.

Thank you.

urbngrilla
urbngrilla

Mark, I’m the one that leaked the Loving RVA press release announcing the press conference on Veteran’s Day 2013. Was that one of the “tactics” you find so offensive? If so, then you can lighten up on our innocent neighbor who you suspect “rallied the troops” to stand tall at that event. That leak brought out folks from all across the city who very thoughtfully voiced their opposition to the Loving RVA plan. That plan will enslave all Richmond taxpayers–not just folks in Union/Church Hill. So, the whole city really does have a say in this. You talk about tactics?… Read more »

Alex
Alex

@37 – isn’t the point of a “press release” for it to get out? How exactly then does one “leak” such a thing? I’m very confused. I’m also confused how we expect our city officials to do stuff if we get pissy every time they act decisively. We’ve had like a thousand studies done that I can recall, spent enough on said studies to have built three stadiums probably and our mayor is “ramming it down” when he says it’s time to move. If our city tends to miss, it usually is more on the “wait until everyone is fully… Read more »

Mark
Mark

urbngrilla, I’m not exactly sure who you are, but you are welcome to contact me directly. John can arrange it if you don’t already know how. Your rhetoric speaks for itself.

Liz Swilley
Liz Swilley

Where can I get anti-ballpark signs? Do these exist?

Tate
Tate

Sign was stolen out of my front yard last night in churchill. Cowards another one will go up tomorrow.

Diana
Diana

Couple of years ago a friend had a political sign in his yard. It was repeatedly stolen until he electrified it! That night he heard someone cry ouch! The signed remained until after the election.