Bills seek to close methadone clinic loophole

Bills introduced this week in the House by
Del. Jennifer McClellan (D-Richmond)
and in the Senate by Sen. John Watkins (R-Midlothian) seek to close a loophole which allowed a methadone clinic to open down the hill from Bellevue Elementary School:

Location of methadone clinics near schools and day care centers; exemptions for existing facilities and providers. Provides that licensed providers of methadone treatment that are exempt from restrictions regarding proximity to a school or day care center do not retain the exemption when relocating an existing facility or establishing a new facility.

Update! Give Back Night for Bellevue Elementary

Bellevue PTA Needs Your Help!

Bellevue Elementary PTA holding forum to discuss rezoning

kelly Avellino
kelly Avellino

hey All,
Kelly Avellino from NBC12—
If anyone would like to chat about the affect of the clinic near the school, please contact me asap at kavellino@nbc12.com

JessOfRVA
JessOfRVA

I haven’t noticed a lot of people loitering nearly as much anymore. Maybe I’m around at the wrong time of day?

Mike
Mike

I drive by every morning between 4:30 – 4:45 and usually see people inside. I also occasionally see some vehicles idling. Very rarely have I seen folks waiting outside like they used to. I belive someone is opening it up early around 4:30…

John Eisenberg
John Eisenberg

John Eisenberg liked this on Facebook.

Cynthia Tobin
Cynthia Tobin

Cynthia Tobin liked this on Facebook.

Alex
Alex

At the risk of sounding naive, has anyone from the community approached the clinic operators to ask of they would be willing to voluntarily relocate to an area that isn’t right near a school? I doubt there’s anything particular about that spot that is magical and it’s probably just a matter of helping them find another affordable location. Or on the other end of the spectrum (hopefully after diplomatic options had failed), I suspect the clinic would be much more open to moving should citizens park outside and keep tabs on who is entering. Posting pictures of their visitors, etc… Read more »

Anne
Anne

At 6:30am Thursday there were cars parked on the grass in Taylors’ Hill Park near the Franklin and 23rd intersection. Another car was idling on the foot path in Taylors’ Hill Park, about a half block into the park. This is the foot path that is accessible from Grace and 23rd.

edg
edg

What is Taylor’s Hill Park? Is that at the bottom or the top of the hill?

Alex
Alex

The NBC story (and the writeup above) both completely missed the fact that this bill would do nothing to solve the issue that Bellevue faces. I think that’s a huge point that needs to be made clear. This is just knee jerk reactionism by McClellan so she can say she did something. It would prevent it from happening again somewhere else but this clinic would be unaffected.

Anne
Anne

edg,

Taylors Hill Park is the park that wraps around Richmond Hill. On Google Maps the boundaries are roughly 23rd, 21st, Franklin, and Grace.

katzenjaammer
katzenjaammer

What exactly is “the issue” with Bellevue? Has anyone gone near the school, bothered children or affected classes? Are they panhandling? Are they registered sex offenders?

Honestly the degenerates at Poe’s Pub concern me a whole lot more than the people seeking treatment at the methadone clinic. I for one am happy they can get help…I don’t think they’re hurting anyone.

frankp
frankp

‘Parking’ in Taylor’s Hill Park is totally wackadoodle. There’s plenty of street parking. They should be ticketed. There are often cops chilling in the parking deck behind Farm Fresh, maybe they should be alerted. But do these cars have anything to do with the clinic?
Though the clinic is close to the school, it’s also physically separated from it by the hill and feels like a world away. Is there an evidence that proximity clinic/school causes problems?
The clinic has to be somewhere. Seeking treatment should be honored not shamed.

Michelle
Michelle

Katz, how are superior than those that visit Poes?

degenerate escapee from Poe's
degenerate escapee from Poe's

Katz #10, please explain how someone seeking treatment for heroin addiction is superior to the customers at Poe’s Pub. And on what do you base your description of these Poe’s customers – their behavior, their looks, their clothes, or what? In other words, what makes them degenerates in your opinion?

Queen of Church Hill
Queen of Church Hill

Degenerates at Poe’s Pub!?!? I resemble that remark!

degenerate escapee from Poe's
degenerate escapee from Poe's

@14 Are there queens at Poe’s too? Any chance they will be doing drag brunch on Sundays? It would be so much easier to walk there then drive to Godfrey’s…

Mike Britt
Mike Britt

How dare you talk about my family and friends in that way. If you make a statement like that you should use your real name so we could be adults and discuss your problems. Poe’s has been here for twenty years and done more for church hill than someone like you would know. Be a man or a woman and talk to me in person

crd
crd

katzenjaammer #10, I think you need to make a trip to Poe’s and explain yourself to the owner, Mike Britt, and some of the neighbors.

katzenjaammer
katzenjaammer

I tried going to Poe’s to eat, because the food is pretty good. But the last time I was there, I had a well known neighborhood drunk chew up food and spit it on my plate. WHILE i WAS EATING. Lovely. The time before that, I went in the women’s bathroom and the sink was full of vomit. Also one memorable Halloween, when looking for a burger after a stressful family funeral, I was harrassed at the bar by another drunken regular and when I complained, I was advised by the bartender, who I had found sleeping in the back… Read more »

katzenjaammer
katzenjaammer

Furthermore, CRD, I don’t have to explain myself to you or anybody else.

Alex
Alex

@18 – at least you chose a relevant screen name. As you probably are aware, katzenjammer literally means something like the sound of a cat wailing. I’d say that’s a good way to describe your whining about Poe’s.

Either you got the worst luck in the world or there’s a lot more to this story than you’re sharing. I’ve been to Poe’s probably hundreds of times over the years and have yet to have anything like these things happen.

Michelle
Michelle

Katz, how about some cheese to go with your whine?

Karen Gauthier
Karen Gauthier

Good day Church Hillians, et al! I am not going to comment on the political fervor related to the Methodone Clinic because I have not done enough research to understand the facts – which is what this original post story was to be about. HOWEVER, I am posting on the “degenerates” of Poe’s Pub comment that has taken the focus of the story. Obviously, the poster either does not realize or does not care, that 99% of the regular customers at Poe’s that they are offending, are their fellow Hill neighbors and would most likely be the same ones to… Read more »

Karen
Karen

Karen Gauthier – well-said!!!

katzenjaammer
katzenjaammer

Your insults haven’t improved my impression of Poe’s clientele. In fact, you proved my point better than I ever could have.

Jon Ondrak
Jon Ondrak

@ Karen Gauthier – ditto.

clay st resident
clay st resident

Getting back on topic… as Alex points out, this bill does nothing to help the current issue with the methadone clinic near Bellevue since it would be exempted.