The most recent episode of the Fulton-based Richmond history podcast History Replays Today features Church Hill’s own Bill Martin talking about the history of the Valentine Richmond History Center:
The museum opened its doors in 1898 in the Wickham House on the corner of Clay and 11th St. Over the years the museum has gone through many changes as RVA and its needs for a museum have changed, including expansion. The museum now takes up the entire block of East Grace St between 10th & 11th Streets. Martin also tells History Replays Today about the current renovations of the museums main galleries. The renovation is allowing Martin and The Valentine to reexamine what its means to live in a city like Richmond, that is layered with history and how that history should be taught and related to.