Government

Sample ballot for upcoming election

The next election in the City of Richmond will be a general election on Tuesday, November 5, 2013. The polls will be open from 6AM to 7PM.

Statewide, the positions of Governor, Lieutenant Governor, and Attorney General are up for grabs. On a more local level, the positions of Treasurer, Sheriff, and House of Representatives Delegate will be filled.

On the ballot:

Below is a sample ballot and map for the 71st House District.

Screen Shot 2013-10-15 at 10.32.00 AM

Screen Shot 2013-10-15 at 10.32.10 AM

Most of the CHPN coverage area resides in the 71st House District represented by Jennifer L. McClellan. The remainder is in the 70th House District represented by Delores McQuinn.

71st House District of Virginia

Boys and Girls Club Opening Ceremony and Community Day this Saturday

Vanessa

ADVISORY: Warner & McEachin To Host Discussion on Food Insecurity In Richmond

s.kelly 10/15/2013 at 9:20 PM

Thanks for posting this! Glad to see info out there.

BAF 10/15/2013 at 11:11 PM

Shirley Harvey’s website is NOT to be missed. There are multiple nuggets of gold on every page.

chpn 10/16/2013 at 12:40 AM

L.Shirley Harvey http://lshirleyharvey.com

R.S.”Bob” Barnett who is running against Betsy Carr in the 69th also has a unique web presence http://timism.com

UnionMeetsChurch 10/16/2013 at 3:16 AM

Harvey’s website is beyond bizarre and looks like it was written at the dawn of the internet. The ramblings of a mad person holding a dog. This is a legit candidate for Treasurer?

UnionMeetsChurch 10/16/2013 at 3:17 AM

Wow. Ok. Barney’s is even crazier. I’m scared.

SEW 10/16/2013 at 9:06 AM

UnionMeetsChurch,

I agree…really scary! Both sites are beyond bizarre! OMG!

Brad 10/16/2013 at 10:22 AM

Okay. Can anyone describe the job of the Treasurer? Treasurer for what?

Alex 10/16/2013 at 10:27 AM

Barnett’s website is freaking awesome/scary. I’m pretty sure that the answers to all of life’s exisential questions are buried in that thing somewhere. He’s either a genius, a complete madman or both.

Love the resume:

Harvey’s is just garden variety bad webdesign compared to Barnett’s manifesto. Though the dog pose strikes me as Ernst Blofeld / Dr. Evil-ish inspired.

So are folks in the 69th actually going to have the option of voting a Barnett / Dorsey / Harvey ticket? Mix in some write-in craziness and that might be the most fun ballot cast ever.

chpn 10/16/2013 at 10:34 AM

@Brad –

“The City Treasurer is an elected constitutional officer of the Commonwealth of Virginia. The Treasurer’s Office is located in Room 107, City Hall, 900 E. Broad St., Richmond, VA 23219. The emphasis of this office is on the collection of state income taxes. The office staff provides information and assistance regarding state and federal income taxes. Fishing and hunting licenses are also sold through this office.”

Paul Hammond 10/16/2013 at 12:49 PM

Anybody seen Chis Dorsey’s platform? Did you know he was an “Economic and Banking Analyst” for Iranian State TV. Do a google search for “Chris Dorsey Press TV”.

Vee 10/17/2013 at 1:52 PM

Just looked at those websites…

O.M.G.

L. Shirley Harvey 10/26/2013 at 12:41 AM

My name is L. Shirley Harvey. I did not know that your newspaper had put any information about me in it. The picture was taken from my website. I like my website which gives me much room for information. If someone had told me, I might have provided a picture. Did you know that the ballot is incorrect? Independent or no delineations for party signifies that all candidates are independent. When that is the case, the names should be in alphabetical order. Did anyone notice that my opponent’s campaign email address is that of the city’s. A treasurer does more that sell fishing and hunting licenses. I will make that office more responsible to the people of Richmond by providing checks and balances for expenditures and receipts. I will look into mismanagement and fraud. I will listen to people who have problems with city situations and find solutions. There is much for a treasurer to do that is not being done now. I find it ironic that anyone would want to pay anybody approximately $110,000 to sell hunting and fishing licenses and prepare a few tax returns. Preparing tax returns is unnecessary since we have IRS one block over from 900 E. Broad Street, we have the State Tax Department and we have free tax preparation on the internet. Did you check the Style Magazine for 2003 who talked with Ms. Wilder about her campaigns and who said that since she was endorsed by the democrats, she did not need to campaign? If we want good government, we need to put people in office who really cares about our city.

Election day 2013 ‹ Church Hill People's News 11/05/2013 at 7:50 AM

[…] Here’s the sample ballot if you haven’t gone out yet. […]