East End News

Protected bike lane planned for MLK Bridge

I Have a Dream Festival

Cyclus Bike Shop Bike Swap!

Bike Lanes, New Traffic Rules, and You

Jacob C.

BAF 09/18/2013 at 10:45 AM

I have a better idea. How about taking the money for the project and redirect it to fix the potholes that riddle the city’s existing streets. The city cannot maintain the infrastructure it has now. Why would we add to the infrastructure or spend money on new stuff that we cannot maintain? Let’s get the potholes and the mowing and basic services up to snuff before we start doing new projects.

clay st resident 09/18/2013 at 10:49 AM

This is great news!

Thornley 09/18/2013 at 11:02 AM

Oh crap, the mock up includes vegetation on both sides of the “walkway”. That’s gonna take A LOTTA extension cords when WE have to go trim it…

Nearby Neighbor 09/18/2013 at 11:13 AM

Making the infrastructure better for something other than cars would reduce the wear and tear on the roads, too. Hope this project is successful.

Brad 09/18/2013 at 11:32 AM

The picture above is for a more elaborate redo of the Leigh St. Viaduct. That is not what is being put out for bid at this time. According to the plans it looks to me like the city will reduce cars to two lanes in each direction across the bridge and then use white stripes and bike lanes to create safer travel lanes for bicycles in the non-car third lanes. I think this is a very good start to making the bicycle connection between Church Hill and downtown safer and more user friendly and, as a regular bicycle commuter across the bridge, I look forward to its completion and, hopefully, to much reduced car speeds across the bridge. The plans are at http://www.richmondgov.com/procurement/documents/bids/CB_J140002935_LeighStPlan.pdf

Amy N-B 09/18/2013 at 11:34 AM

This is amazing. Even better would be to have the vegetation between bikes and the cars. This model works well in lots of places – Germany, Canada, etc.

chpn 09/18/2013 at 11:34 AM

Brad – awesome, thanks for the link!

downtown-watch 09/18/2013 at 12:09 PM

Hey BAF- You do realize that by reducing the width of the car lanes, the city will have more money for maintenance right? When was the last time anyone’s seen heavy traffic on the MLK viaduct? Never. Plant the trees, there’s already electricity out there for the lights, build the bike lanes!

Chimbo 09/18/2013 at 12:34 PM

The few times I have biked this bridge, I was amazed by the volume of broken glass in the road and sidewalk. That needs to be addressed somehow if biking is to be encouraged.

Bill 3 09/18/2013 at 1:46 PM

Agree with #9. I’ve biked over a few times myself & always prepared for a flat after that particular stretch.

Julia H 09/18/2013 at 4:31 PM

Chimbo and Bill 3 – I have the same concerns…I can take some pictures of that space perhaps Friday or Saturday and email them to you, so that we can all three address it to the city. Anyone want to find out who we can send this info too? The more the better….also, have they tried trashcans on the bridge before and they don’t work? perhaps the Clean City Commission could put up Don’t Litter signs?
My email is stojulia_34@hotmail.com

Jakob Helmboldt 09/19/2013 at 10:37 AM

That image depicts a multi-million dollar concept that was never approved or funded and is NOT what will be constructed. Wide, buffered bike lanes with spatial separation from the auto travel lanes will be built by converting the outer lane in each direction to a bike lane.

33rd 09/19/2013 at 11:35 AM

This is great and all, and it would be even better if cyclists knew how to use the lane. I’m sick of having to swerve to avoid hitting idiots on bikes going the wrong way into oncoming traffic across this bridge. It’d also be nice if they knew that traffic signals apply to them, considering they constantly run red lights around the neighborhood.

Yes, yes I know that there are cyclists out there that do follow the rules, but I see far more that don’t.

Meadow 09/19/2013 at 1:07 PM

33rd, it would be nice if all drivers came to a complete stop at stop signs, shoulder checked before merging, and obeyed posted speed limits. I’m sick of almost BEING KILLED by these drivers when I walk or bike. Yeah, I know many motorists do follow the rules, but I see far more that don’t.

33rd 09/20/2013 at 3:19 PM

Meadow, you act as though I said all motorists are perfect angels and cyclists are not. Obviously, motorists mess up plenty, but seeing as this article was actually about a bike lane, that is what I commented on.

New bike lane for MLK Bridge ‹ CHPN 09/11/2014 at 11:06 AM

[…] was a report last September that a protected bike lane was planned for the bridge, with a potential start date of last […]