Protected bike lane planned for MLK Bridge

Give your input on bike lanes for Fairmount Ave, Fairfield Ave

I Have a Dream Festival

BAF
BAF

I have a better idea. How about taking the money for the project and redirect it to fix the potholes that riddle the city’s existing streets. The city cannot maintain the infrastructure it has now. Why would we add to the infrastructure or spend money on new stuff that we cannot maintain? Let’s get the potholes and the mowing and basic services up to snuff before we start doing new projects.

clay st resident
clay st resident

This is great news!

J Cortney Bradford
J Cortney Bradford

J Cortney Bradford liked this on Facebook.

Thornley
Thornley

Oh crap, the mock up includes vegetation on both sides of the “walkway”. That’s gonna take A LOTTA extension cords when WE have to go trim it…

Nearby Neighbor
Nearby Neighbor

Making the infrastructure better for something other than cars would reduce the wear and tear on the roads, too. Hope this project is successful.

Brad
Brad

The picture above is for a more elaborate redo of the Leigh St. Viaduct. That is not what is being put out for bid at this time. According to the plans it looks to me like the city will reduce cars to two lanes in each direction across the bridge and then use white stripes and bike lanes to create safer travel lanes for bicycles in the non-car third lanes. I think this is a very good start to making the bicycle connection between Church Hill and downtown safer and more user friendly and, as a regular bicycle commuter across… Read more »

Amy N-B
Amy N-B

This is amazing. Even better would be to have the vegetation between bikes and the cars. This model works well in lots of places – Germany, Canada, etc.

catyblack
catyblack

RT @chpn: Protected bike lane planned for MLK Bridge http://t.co/av4PaVUjXq

Kathy Albers
Kathy Albers

Kathy Albers liked this on Facebook.

Chelsea Harnish
Chelsea Harnish

Chelsea Harnish liked this on Facebook.

downtown-watch
downtown-watch

Hey BAF- You do realize that by reducing the width of the car lanes, the city will have more money for maintenance right? When was the last time anyone’s seen heavy traffic on the MLK viaduct? Never. Plant the trees, there’s already electricity out there for the lights, build the bike lanes!

Chimbo
Chimbo

The few times I have biked this bridge, I was amazed by the volume of broken glass in the road and sidewalk. That needs to be addressed somehow if biking is to be encouraged.

Bill 3
Bill 3

Agree with #9. I’ve biked over a few times myself & always prepared for a flat after that particular stretch.

Casey Werderman
Casey Werderman

Casey Werderman liked this on Facebook.

Julia H
Julia H

Chimbo and Bill 3 – I have the same concerns…I can take some pictures of that space perhaps Friday or Saturday and email them to you, so that we can all three address it to the city. Anyone want to find out who we can send this info too? The more the better….also, have they tried trashcans on the bridge before and they don’t work? perhaps the Clean City Commission could put up Don’t Litter signs?
My email is stojulia_34@hotmail.com

Jakob Helmboldt
Jakob Helmboldt

That image depicts a multi-million dollar concept that was never approved or funded and is NOT what will be constructed. Wide, buffered bike lanes with spatial separation from the auto travel lanes will be built by converting the outer lane in each direction to a bike lane.

33rd
33rd

This is great and all, and it would be even better if cyclists knew how to use the lane. I’m sick of having to swerve to avoid hitting idiots on bikes going the wrong way into oncoming traffic across this bridge. It’d also be nice if they knew that traffic signals apply to them, considering they constantly run red lights around the neighborhood.

Yes, yes I know that there are cyclists out there that do follow the rules, but I see far more that don’t.

Meadow
Meadow

33rd, it would be nice if all drivers came to a complete stop at stop signs, shoulder checked before merging, and obeyed posted speed limits. I’m sick of almost BEING KILLED by these drivers when I walk or bike. Yeah, I know many motorists do follow the rules, but I see far more that don’t.

33rd
33rd

Meadow, you act as though I said all motorists are perfect angels and cyclists are not. Obviously, motorists mess up plenty, but seeing as this article was actually about a bike lane, that is what I commented on.