Cyclus Bike Shop is closing (UPDATED)

UPDATE: Cyclus is staying open!

Cyclus Bike Shop is closing:

We’ve had a good run, but it’s time to move on. A shout to all the folks that have helped us out over the years, Suzy, Phil, Bob Quirk, Bk Lee, Hippy, Bald James, Evan and Rick at Re-cycles, Chip @Pibby’s, Richmond re-development, Sunday the dog… honestly too many to name. It’s been an interesting chapter in my life. Thanks again:)

Robbie Wood set to Open Wheel Simple Bicycle Repair

Cyclus Bike Shop Bike Swap!

Groupon Opportunity: Cyclus Bike Shop

Matt Conrad
Matt Conrad

Terrible news. Hate to see these guys go.

Chanti
Chanti

aww. Sad to see you go! Church Hill needs more businesses! It’s always sad to see them close.

Eric Huffstutler
Eric Huffstutler

Can you give us some insight as to why you are closing? May help others coming into the area new opening businesses to know the ups and downs in this immediate area. Sorry it idn’t work out for you guys, hope it was a personal move rather than financial but fear it was the latter.

FastCharles
FastCharles

are you going to have a closing shop sale?, my bike was stolen recently and I need a new one…

Melissa Brooks
Melissa Brooks

Boo. We hate to see you go. Our family recently got into biking and we’ve frequented the shop most recently and always had excellent service, wonderful recommendations and affordable pricing. You will be missed, neighborhood bike shop! You will be missed.

Karen
Karen

So sorry to hear this!

Luke
Luke

Did you guys even shop here? I gave up after dealing with some pretty awful customer unfriendly business practices. No surprise they couldn’t compete.

Melissa Ansley Brooks
Melissa Ansley Brooks

TERRIBLE NEWS! WE <3 Cyclus!

Brett@Cyclus
Brett@Cyclus

Luke, come off it. You came in once and threw a fit. We bent over backwards for most folks. I don’t entertain intimidation.

knowing
knowing

Luke is getting quite the reputation around the neighborhood as a pissant of a customer.

Karen
Karen

Honestly, I never went there (not a cyclist) but I had friends who did go there and they had nothing but good things to say!

Luke
Luke

That’s an interesting response, Brett, but not one I find surprising considering the treatment I received. I suppose you’re the MIA owner who advised his employee that 1. neither returns nor exchanges would be accepted even in the setting of incorrect advice from his employees and 2. doesn’t even have the common courtesy or business sense to communicate with his customers when there is a problem, instead leaving it to his powerless employees to give the “don’t know what to tell you; it’s a management decision” line. Brett, when you treat your customers poorly and don’t respond when there is… Read more »

Luke
Luke

Yes, knowing, it seems business owners in church hill have very easily hurt feelings. I’d wager that’s driven by the multitudinous praise heaped on mediocre establishments seemingly on the premise that more businesses is good for church hill, no matter their quality. I’d hate to see how these owners would respond in a more competitive market where customers and reviewers didn’t handle them with kid gloves. Credit where credit is due. Those places that are consistently run well and treat their customers well while providing an excellent product (e.g. Alamo) deserve praise. Those that crap on their customers and then… Read more »

Lisa
Lisa

I am sorry to see you go! My minimal bike needs were always taken care of by the folks at Cyclus. Affordable and fast! Thanks for doing what you did!

chandler
chandler

sad to read this from new orleans – cyclus was a great bike shop, and always willing to work with us on repairs and suggestions. hopefully they’ll stay in the richmond bike scene somehow – the city could use more businesses like it.

Elaine Odell
Elaine Odell

Gosh, I will miss Cyclus. For bike accessories and dependable service, they were spot on. Best wishes to all the folks who worked at Cyclus and served Church Hill. But, I’ll really miss Sunday–nothing like having a sweet pit bull to love up on you while you wait for a tune up.

Kendra
Kendra

Brett, good luck in your future endeavors! I was really looking forward to being your neighbor . I have never heard anything but raves about you and your business.

G.
G.

Brett@cyclus: For every 50 satisfied customer, there will always be a “Luke”. Luke: Apparently, your mother has never taught you that if you can not say anything nice, then don’t say anything at all. Dude, we get your point (here & on Yelp…), just ease up a little. You obviously have an ax to grind…that much is clear. But to beat it into the ground is ridiculous. Get a clue, and go on with your life…I’m sure the other LBS’s are salivating for your salty-brand of business. They will really appreciate your mastery of social media to further your malcontent.… Read more »

Brad
Brad

I am sorry to read about the closing. I have always enjoyed having a bike shop in the neighborhood. Cyclus has fixed numerous flat tires for me and the staff even taught me how to do the repairs myself. Thanks and good luck with your future adventures!

AmyN-B
AmyN-B

@20 – Brad. Maybe this should inspire you to buy your lovely wife a bike from Cyclus.

Jake F.
Jake F.

Luke, you do seem to complain a lot. You also throw the word mediocre around a lot to describe businesses. I am not going to argue if you did or did not receive mediocre service from all the businesses you enjoy trashing. You probably did. But did you ever ask yourself, “Maybe I’m getting mediocre service because I am a mediocre person?” It could just be the way you’re wired. I know it requires you to look at yourself internally and that can be hard to do. Just something for you to think about.

Brett@Cyclus
Brett@Cyclus

Luke,

You were dealing with me, the owner. I witnessed it all. Your exit will always be in my memories. It’s hard out there. I enforced a return policy. The shop didn’t stay open this long because we are dummmies. Operating the shop has been fun, taught me alot, but also has beaten me down severely. It’s time for me chill, and get a few personal goals done.
The funny thing is, I’ve waved at you on your motorcycle a few times. I doubt you recognize me…….To everyone else thanks again, I tried my best.

Luke
Luke

G: No axe to grind; I posted the Yelp review so that others can have another piece of data about the experience of another customer, the function of any review site (or did you think that review sites and blogs such as this were for heaping praise?). It does seem interesting that people here are very defensive about businesses to which they have no other connection than that they are in their neighborhood. It’s an interesting phenomenon, and I still can see no other reason for it than that folks are (legitimately) unhappy about the dearth of decent places in… Read more »

Big Monkey
Big Monkey
really?
really?

too bad there isn’t a review site to review luke. probably wouldn’t get one positive review. unfortunate.

Jake F.
Jake F.

Luke, I’m sorry you feel the victim. Yes, I have complained directly to owners and then on Yelp and even the better business bureau. The one thing I have never done is kick dirt on a business that has gone under while the employees look for work. And I certainly would never write something like this: “Again, no surprise you’re out of business. And frankly, good riddance to lousy businesses and their argumentative business acumen lacking owners.” Sounds like a pretty big axe you had to grind. Obviously you are not helping Brett’s business since he no longer owns one.… Read more »

Mars
Mars

Sad to see you go! I took my bike there twice and have nothing but great things to say. Not sure where I will take my bike now!

G.
G.

Luke: As I said, I really do get your point…you had a bad experience. OK, post it anywhere you want…holler it out as loud as you can, it’s a free country. But please, to say: “No ax to grind.” Homey, the ax that you are apparently still carrying around might be a bit much for even Paul Bunyan to bear. Let it rest. BTW: I’ve been around long enough to understand the function of social media. I also know that blokes like you will use it as a weapon…believe me, words cut like knives. You know this as well. Negative… Read more »

Brett@Cyclus
Brett@Cyclus

John,

Thanks man. That means a lot. I got outta class tonight and felt calm for the first time in a while. I’ll be around in some capacity, and always love bicycles and this neighborhood.

John S
John S

Bret- thanks for fixing our baby stroller multiple times and tuning up my bianchi to perfection. Please stay close and all the best in your next gig.

Roland Villars
Roland Villars

So sorry to see you guys go. I bought an excellent bike from you, at a very good price. You guys were great and treated me with classic customer service. I will certainly miss Cyclus. My best to you in the future.

Elli
Elli

Darn! I was very fond of Cyclus and a very satisfied customer. Wish your closing weren’t true. Wish you the best. And wish Church Hill another bike shop soon.