History

A Look Back: Richmond Before Now on Instagram

Megan Rickman-Blackwood

#TBT 1897 Richmond Art

Jacob C.

New Photography Exhibition Reveals Post-Civil War Richmond

elaine odell 05/02/2012 at 11:49 PM

And remember that old junk yard at the corner of 20th & Broad, adjacent to the brick house!? You can see the eastern edge of it in the second picture. Hard to believe it was ever there.

Charlie Lintecum 05/03/2012 at 12:02 PM

Any idea when they plowed all this mess?

tiny 05/03/2012 at 2:26 PM

Yes, I believe it was made of doors. I remember passing the fence made of doors on my way home back in the day.

Bill Hartsock 05/03/2012 at 9:21 PM

I think the lot was cleared in 1999 or 2000. The yellow metal shed and the fence were the last to go. The double house in the middle of the block was so deteriorated that it almost could have fallen down by itself. The man who ran the salvage yard had been there for years. I bought mantels and doors from him back in the mid 80’s. His prices were always cheap, but you had to dig around in all the mess to find what you were looking for. Across 20th St., right on the corner, was a three-story brick house built in the 1840’s that was in remarkably good shape. It was torn down in the late 80’s. Huband’s (the former name for Duke’s) owned the lot on the corner of Broad and 21st. Eddie would never sell it so no one could put the block together for development. After he died things changed.

Syd 05/04/2012 at 8:55 AM

I remember going there with my dad to buy things from the salvage when I was a kid. The man that ran it let me keep a little dirty teacup that I found one day. And yes, part of the fence was doors.

Broad Street (1990s) ‹ CHPN 02/28/2015 at 8:25 AM

[…] I’m 99% certain this painting by Emphraim Rubenstein (via) is of the houses that used to stand on the north side of the 1900 block of East Broad Street (right down from these buildings). […]