Using the August fire at the Citadel of Hope building as a focal point, the January 2012 issue of Richmond Magazine’s Hope Deferred digs into the struggle faced by Venable Street’s Temple of Judah as the church struggles to meet their mission of service to the poor, while wanting to develop their large holdings of vacant properties, all with limited funding and a dwindling congregation.
Temple of Judah has been at the Venable Street location since 1959 under the pastorage of Melvin Williams, Sr. and Melvin Williams, Jr.
The church owns vacant buildings at 921 N 20th St and 2230 Venable St, and vacant lots at 2238 1/2 Venable St, 2240 Venable St, 3508 E Clay St, 2121 Venable St, 2200 Venable St, 2202 Venable St, 2204 Venable St, 2206 Venable St, 816 N 22Nd St, and 2120 Venable St.
PHOTO AT TOP: Melvin Williams, Jr. (from Richmond Magazine, by Chris Smith)
TAGGED: Citadel of Hope, Malcolm Venable, Melvin Williams, Richmond Magazine, Temple of Judah, Union Hill