East End News

The Collapse of Richmond’s Church Hill Tunnel

Picked up Walter Griggs’ The Collapse of Richmond’s Church Hill Tunnel from Chop Suey (When I got up to the register with my book, the cashier asked me if I’d like one of the misprinted covers…) this weekend, but haven’t had a chance to really get into it yet. Flipping through it appears to be well-written, and there are photos that I’ve not seen before.

Shop local! This book, along with HRF’s new The Church Hill Old & Historic Districts and Ben Campbell’s Richmond’s Unhealed History would make great gifts this season. Check out Chop Suey in Carytown, Fountain Books in Shockoe, Black Swan on Main Street, and the Valentine gift shop if you’re looking for copies of these or other books on Church Hill or Richmond history.

#TBT 1897 Richmond Art

Jacob C.

Depression over Church Hill Tunnel (1902)

John M

Dining in Historic Richmond (1977)

John M

Walter Griggs 12/05/2011 at 9:59 AM

Probably 50 people missed the title error during the production process. As we know, some people believe that there is a curse on the tunnel. I have come to believe the title is the latest manifestation of that curse. I can not understand how so many people missed the error. Perhaps there is a curse!!!!!

Walter Griggs

Sandie 12/05/2011 at 8:05 PM

My first thought when the earthquake occurred was that the tunnel was collapsing!

Cadeho 12/06/2011 at 3:07 AM

Amazing… I was just reading about this and doing my own map today… good timing!

jmurden 12/10/2011 at 6:17 PM

@Cadeho – There is a very specific map in this book that I’ve never seen before. You’ll like this, I think 🙂

Bob Harrison 12/10/2011 at 10:45 PM

Nice to see that you are still at it, Walter…

Bob

Walter Griggs 12/11/2011 at 7:03 PM

Bob! I tried every way in the world to try to find you. I will always remember working with you.

Help this Church Hill Tunnel collapse documentary get made ‹ CHPN 12/22/2013 at 12:24 PM

[…] have consulted the preeminent authority on the Church Hill tunnel, Professor Walter S. Griggs, Jr., on the history and stories surrounding the tunnel. We have also been fortunate to secure the […]