The 2010 schedule for the Valentine Richmond History Center walking tours kicks off April 1 in Oregon Hill. The first tour of the season in Church Hill is set for April 18 (2-4PM) :
Examine 19th century architecture and modern revitalization efforts in Richmond’s oldest intact neighborhood. Developed by Major William Mayo, Church Hill is home to St. John’s Church, where Patrick Henry made his famous speech, and the city’s largest number of antebellum structures. Meet at Patrick Henry Park across from St. John’s Church, E. Broad and 24th streets.
New this year are tours of Barton Heights led by History Center Director Bill Martin on May 8 (10AM-12PM):
This tour focuses on historic commercial and retail activity along North Avenue and Brookland Park Boulevard. Established in 1889 as an early streetcar suburb, Barton Heights originally was part of Henrico County and is now part of the City of Richmond.
… and a tour of the Bellevue neighborhood on August 7 (10AM-2PM):
[Bellevue] developed in the 1920’s and 30’s a few miles north of downtown Richmond as a result of growing retail activity on Macarthur just south of Bellevue Avenue. The automobile contributed to the growth of neighborhoods such as Bellevue on Richmond’s north side.
Tours of Church Hill are scheduled for April, May, June, and August.