Construction of the Marshall Street Viaduct (1910)

17th St Farmer’s Market Circa 1910

Jacob C.

Dude, where’s my car? Multiple vehicles towed on Marshall St.

Just a reminder about Marshall St.

Anon E Mous
Anon E Mous

I wish it still looked like this.

More houses, less lofts, and a beautiful steel bridge running the span of old Shockoe. Look at all the trees… any of you guys remember when there were trees everywhere?

tvnewsbadge
tvnewsbadge

There are STILL trees everywhere. problem is, they’re so old and rotten that they’re ending up falling on our houses, yards and cars instead of sticking up in the air.

Ryan Ramsey
Ryan Ramsey

Great find John! Thank you so much for sharing!

Bullwinkle
Bullwinkle

Nice pic! When was that viaduct torn down?

crd
crd

Didn’t the MLK bridge replace this?

#4, Bullwinkle, the caption says it was closed in July 1970. I wonder when it was torn down and when the bridge was opened?

Right on Broad
Right on Broad

How about posting that image of the viaduct from the “Seldom Seen Richmond” site with all the postcards on it that VCU Special Collections put together?

Michael
Michael

What a terrible loss that this was torn down. The MLK bridge is a far cry from a street car line feeding directly into the city. Could you imagine the number of people who would ride the streetcar to VCU/MCV to get to school/work each day if it was still around?

Carolyn Bethea
Carolyn Bethea

I remember walking across the viaduct when I was a kid. Shame they had to tear it down, it went directly to MCV Hospital and it’s emergency room then. Straight shot. But it got old, you could look through the boards down to the street below. I still miss it. My friends and I walked across it to go see the Clint Eastwood movie, “Joe Kidd” playing at one of the movie theaters on East Broad street. Ah, nostalgia.

tvnewsbadge
tvnewsbadge

Can anyone effort a shot of the Singing Bridge while on the subject ???

WC
WC

Anyone recall when the Marshall Street Viaduct got so bad the two outside lanes were block to vehicle traffic. Later the viaduct got so bad traffic lights were place in several sections of the viaduct to limit the number of cars on the bridge.