25th Street open ahead of schedule

Originally scheduled to take until April, the new roundabout at 25th and M Streets is now open.

A roundabout is a type of road junction at which traffic enters a one-way stream around a central island. In the United States it is commonly known as a “rotary” or a “traffic circle”, but sometimes is technically called a modern roundabout, in order to emphasize the distinction from the older, very much larger type of traffic circle which usually had poor or no visibility across the central island.

In countries where people drive on the right, the traffic flow around the central island of a roundabout is counterclockwise. In countries where people drive on the left, the traffic flow is clockwise.

Overall, roundabouts are statistically safer than both traffic circles and traditional intersections,[1] with the exception that cyclists have a significantly increased crash rate at large roundabouts. Roundabouts do not cope as well with the traffic on motorways, highways, or similar fast roads.

How to Drive in a Roundabout (again)

Kiet Vo

Official: Planned Parenthood Opening in N. 25th St

Call for Action: Take the Master Plan Survey for Jefferson and 25th St.

deanna
deanna

I took a spin on it yesterday. It worked quite well.

Brad
Brad

Hurray! I think the circle is a great improvement to the intersection. Not only is the circle safer and more efficient (no need to waste time sitting at a light when no one is around), but it adds a very interesting unique element to the street scape. Yesterday my wife and I drove through the circle twice just for fun (yes we are dorks) and saw several people on the sidewalks and in Que Pasa just watching drivers negotiate the circle. It actually is kind of interesting to watch. Now the City needs to put a traffic circle at 23rd… Read more »

Ian
Ian

Agreed Brad, 23rd and Marshall is the biggest mess of an intersection in this city.

Que Pasa
Que Pasa

A number of our most loyal patrons sat in the big window that looks out onto the roundabout and counted the buses as they went around. Those turns were hard for them to navigate! The couch will not leave the window until we have a fire again. Come on in and check it out!

Amy N-B
Amy N-B

Hey Brad…. speak for yourself. The traffic oval or kiprighti is really great.
In Swahili, the word for traffic circle is kiplefti, because as drivers who follow the British system, it’s important to always keep left.

deanna
deanna

I guess I’m a dork too… I was tempted to do the same this morning when I picked up one of my workers but we didn’t have the time. We did ride through it but I promised that when I dropped him off later today we’d take a couple of spins around for fun 😉

The stop and start of the stop signs are a bit tiresome at times. This was a lot smoother. Thanks for finishing early!

elaine odell
elaine odell

I luv the O-a-bout! Drove it today, and didn’t miss the usual loooonng wait for the light to change.

The new sidewalk in front of the law office is great too.

As I approached the circle from M Street driving east, I noticed how the intersection at M & 24th appeared to be more “open and airy” than pre-circle. That added bonus could help put a damper on the illegal trade at the SE corner of M & 24th.

High hopes for the Jefferson Avenue re-do, too. yippee!

deanna
deanna

elaine – your’re right! even on a rainy day it was bright an inviting.

what illegal trade?

Ryan Ramsey
Ryan Ramsey

Smooth sailing here too. I even saw a pedestrian cross when a car yielded to him in the circle! How nice!

elliot
elliot

As long as the pedestrians use the MARKED crosswalks I think it’s going to be nice.

Crystal
Crystal

We took a spin in it as well. So much better and cleaner looking. I also like the quirkiness it adds to an already quirky neighborhood!

Ramzi
Ramzi

Does anyone know what the final cost for it was?

crd
crd

Ramzi #12, according to McQuinn’s campaign literature from her run for council two years ago, the budget was $500,000 that she claimed she’d been instrumental in obtaining. I don’t know final cost, but would imagine that it would be available at some point through the city – an FOIA request would get that info.

Cadeho
Cadeho

I still think it’s a grand obstruction. It’s not actually round and looks like someone just plopped concrete randomly. I drove it and think it’s a shame. Now the roundabouts at White Oak, those are nice.

Steven
Steven

I love waiting at the bus stop and watching people hesitate… I have figured out alot of people don’t understand YELID… Ive seen a few almost-accidents.

Any news on whats going in the middle?

elphaba
elphaba

am i the only person who thinks that a minor increase in the esthetic value of an intersection is probably not worth $500,000?

ann
ann

I’ve heard that a statue of Ms. McQuinn is going to be erected in the center of the round-about.

Amy N-B
Amy N-B

@16 my husband who pays attention to such things says the roundabout was $125K not $500K. Furthermore, roundabouts, while aesthetically pleasing, are designed to improve traffic flow. The 25th and M intersection is great now.

elphaba
elphaba

$125K is still a lot of money and I don’t believe that the change will make the intersection any more or less manageable. people will either read signs or not, the quality of the intersection will not make a difference.

tiny
tiny

I am afraid I agree with Cadeho. It isn’t round and almost looks like it was placed incorrectly. IMHO, it is more annoying that the old traffic light used to be. I guess I’ll just have to get used to it.