Food

The once and future BBQ joint

Something as yet undetermined will be coming to the former site of Jumpin’ Js; rumor has BBQ coming to the former Rib Town USA; It Must Be Heaven has to open some day right?; Y’all’s Grill should be opening in the former Malone’s Place by the end of the month.

[sep]

2303168154_d73fb95d92.jpg

[sep]

2303167200_5554947df2.jpg

[sep]

2302370191_46bcfe5342.jpg

Tree’s Tacos Celebrates 2 years in business

Pomona Hosting some Cool Gardening Workshops

La Bodega offers Colombian, Puerto Rican, Dominican dishes in Richmond

zookeeper 03/02/2008 at 9:28 AM

glad to see that there are plenty of entrepeneurs who are willing to take the risk to make our community better. we wish them all well in their endeavors and will do our part to support them. The more services that we have within walkable distances from our homes the better: better for the environment, better on our wallets, and better for the community of church hill.

Magneto 03/03/2008 at 8:22 AM

Wow!

I’ve also heard rumors that Acapella is/will be open again. Though, it will be under a different name this time.

Chancenmissie 03/03/2008 at 4:41 PM

The problem that I see a lot of these places having is that they lack a true identity OR that they don’t differentiate themselves ENOUGH from their competitors.

“This Must Be Heaven” sounds exactly like Captain Buzzy’s. Great…so now we’re going to have *two* places that serve coffee, bagels, muffins, ice cream and light fare? How many more of these do we need? The Christian angle is a bit creepy as well. Am I going to walk in there with my very obviously gay friends and feel welcome or will the almighty dollar come before their faith?

Acapella’s was great, but it’s appeal to me was more the fact that they were open late night than anything else. As a non-smoker (who respect’s other people’s right to smoke) it was REALLY bad in that little basement. Something closer in size to Jumpin J’s might work for them, particularly if they’re not interested in recreating the sit-down restaurant part. Perhaps just keep the “pub” food???

I would have liked to have seen a true, honest to goodness, Mom and Pop pizzeria where “Heaven” is going……maybe something like Mary Angelas or Piccola’s but smaller, keeping it simple…with a half dozen booths or so and the ability to get a SLICE of New York style pizza or a hot sub until at least 10 or 11pm during the week and even later on weekends. Bottom’s Up is NOTHING like the aforementioned businesses and The Pizza Place has weird hours, terrible service and doesn’t do anything other than serve pizza late night to drunken partygoers.

Christian Neighbor 03/03/2008 at 6:48 PM

Chancenmissie:

Sounds like your misconceptions about Christians are pretty big. And yet you were so gentle with the smokers.

Also, check out DaVinci’s on N. 25th.

Steven 03/03/2008 at 7:52 PM

Pizza!

chris 03/03/2008 at 8:06 PM

What about the Church Hill Market…it really is an eye sore and nothing has been happening there for many many months….we really need a deli or something to go back into that space.

william 03/03/2008 at 8:24 PM

“Church Hill Market…it really is an eye sore and nothing has been happening there for many many months….we really need a deli or something to go back into that space.”

Huh? many, many months… more like many, many YEARS! Some folks need their sanity checked prior to embarking on their “dreams”. Can anyone get that crazy curmudgeon to cut his losses and sell?

Kristin 03/04/2008 at 12:52 AM

Buzzy’s has the best fresh roasted coffee around. I think the new place on Broad Street is to be an old fashioned ice cream parlor. I know nothing of either of their religious or sexual preferences, however, their products sound quite different. Chancenmissie, it sounds like you have a good business plan: you open it, and I’ll eat there! I noticed activity on the little tan concrete building with the tile roof the other day– something nice to see after years of being empty.

Chancenmissie 03/04/2008 at 2:24 AM

It Must be Heaven has an obvious Christian theme to it (the owners identify their love for their religion in an earlier article)….which makes me somewhat leery. I’m not saying they don’t have a right to do it, but it seems to me that mixing God and business isn’t exactly the wisest startup plan.

What’s the deal with quiches, ice cream and pastries? Isn’t there something else that the holy rollers can be hawking on the Hill? Captain Buzzy’s is filling this niche just fine thanks, and those people aren’t pushing their radical Christian agenda on me when I go in to get my Java fix….

icecreamlover 03/04/2008 at 7:03 AM

To Chancenmissie – so don’t go.

Crystal 03/04/2008 at 8:44 AM

I for one don’t enjoy Captain Buzzy’s because I don’t like coffee and they microwave their breakfasts into existence. Neither is something I’m willing to pay for so I don’t go (though the smoothies are really good).

However, I am looking forward to It Must be Heaven regardless of their obvious Christian theme because I believe in giving people a chance to prove otherwise. When they finally do open, I’ll patronize their establishment and only then if they greet me in the manner in which you describe, Chancemissie, then I’ll agree with you.

‘Til then, we shouldn’t judge a book by its cover doncha think? Not all Christians are the extreme conservative kind, thank god.

Christian Neighbor 03/04/2008 at 8:51 AM

Chancenmissie:

How does something so mild as a vaguely “Christian theme” turn into “holy roller” and “radical Christian agenda?” Radical? What’s radical about ice cream?

Is anybody else seeing this?

Ray 03/04/2008 at 8:59 AM

Sure do.

Anti-faith bigotry at it’s finest.

me too 03/04/2008 at 9:13 AM

I have to admit I was a little leery too when the original article stated something along the lines of “god told me to open it..” I started picturing creepy murals with jc and the apostles eating pie and ice cream….

VCS 03/04/2008 at 9:17 AM

Hey Chancenmissie,
There are a lot more Christians around than you might expect. I don’t know what happened to you in your lifetime to create such a paranoia of it, but we’re here to stay. I can not tell you the last time I went to Church, but I believe in God and that makes me a Christian. You’re implying that anyone that has Christian beliefs is a radical zealot. Wake the hell up.

tiny 03/04/2008 at 9:56 AM

Oh, don’t get me started about the Church Hill Market. I want my corner store back. Our neighborhood really needs a nice corner store.

nadine 03/04/2008 at 9:58 AM

I did not know the ice cream place was to be Christian-themed. Eww.

nadine 03/04/2008 at 10:02 AM

It does sound a little holy-roller:

the other mike 03/04/2008 at 10:12 AM

Chance:

Replace Christian in your rant with black, jew, gay, etc and re-read it. Does it even remotely make any sense?

So slip into your finest Che Guevera t-shirt and find some nice little coffee shop that doesn’t oppress you with thier horrible radical religious views.

archie bunker 03/04/2008 at 11:09 AM

Jebus.

It’s ice cream, people.

I do find it amuzing that a person who is seeking tolerance would have so little themselves.

elaine odell 03/04/2008 at 12:07 PM

you guys keep referring to a news story published about the ice cream parlor…does anyone have a weblink to the article? if so, can you please post it on chpn?

ChancenMissie 03/04/2008 at 2:52 PM

Back on topic….

I would LOVE a little corner market that specialized in high end deli meats, custom made sandwiches (like Coppola’s in Carytown) imported groceries and perhaps some vegetarian fare???

Again, a Mom and Pop pizzeria sounds good too….just ANYTHING other than another coffee, cookies and ice cream joint.

Lora 03/04/2008 at 6:57 PM

“…ANYTHING other than another coffee, cookies and ice cream joint.”

Barbeque is other than all of those!

EDS 03/05/2008 at 8:56 AM

Does anyone find it funny to open an ice parlor next to a modeling agency?

the other mike 03/05/2008 at 9:10 AM

Elaine:

From Style Weekly 3/8/08:

“To illustrate: the coming of It Must Be Heaven to 25th and Broad streets. Online speculation about the business got feverish for a few weeks last month as neighbors wondered aloud whether Captain Buzzy’s Beanery would be hurt, or whether the neighborhood could support another food business, if that’s even what it was. Rumors flew ahead of business permits.

Now they know. Three retired women are opening an old-fashioned ice cream parlor in a historic lodge-hall storefront within eyeshot of Buzzy’s, but with a different style and intent. They’ll serve old-style Southern delicacies like rice pudding and corn pudding, as well as Chicago hot dogs, soups and other desserts. Uniform-wearing servers will dish up Gelati Celesti flavors.

We’ll have the full story next month when the business opens. For now, “it’s a God-ordained event in our lives,” partner Stan Jones says, “and it’s an opportunity to change the lives of other people.””

jason 03/05/2008 at 9:36 AM

why don’t you guys (that have all the great ideas about what will work in church hill) start your own business if you don’t like it – and quit complaining.

Guess what? The business approval process doesn’t go through chpn.

btw, “A God-ordained event in our lives…” probably means its a dream realized for three retired women – who happen to belive in God. Leave them alone and go get your ice cream at Ben and Jerry’s.

Clay Street 03/05/2008 at 12:38 PM

I think it sounds fantastic. I don’t see how a declaration of belief, whatever it is, is a problem. I shop at Ukrop’s, duh.

Now, if a bunch of Scientologists were going to open a hot dog and ice cream place, *there’s* something I draw the line at…

Chris 03/05/2008 at 12:42 PM

I have to agree with jason. The “God-ordained event…” seems pretty benign, even for card-carrying atheist (and zealot mocker) like myself. I personally can’t wait for blue hair and (hopefully not in) ice-cream.

Gray 03/05/2008 at 4:43 PM

Sounds old timey and wonderful –hot dogs, rice pudding, and ice cream for my whole family to enjoy.

Re chancemissie’s comment that the Churchhill establishments “lack a true identity”: The neighborhood patrons give these places their identity. That is what I love about them.

JES 03/06/2008 at 9:35 AM

One word: CHANELLO’S!!!

Seriously.

Oliver Stinkerson 03/06/2008 at 2:11 PM

What about a cool independent video store? The Movie Gallery (neither cool nor indpendent) is going away and it sure would be nice to rent a flick without having to drive across town to Stawberry Street.

Peggy Runge 03/06/2008 at 4:52 PM

I was walking down 23rd street past Acapella’s and noticed that the door to, what used to be the pub, was open. I tried to look inside through the screen door to see what was going on and the owner happened to walk up. He asked if he could help me, so I asked if Acapella was re-opening and he said “yes, in a couple of months” (with a different name). So the rumors are true!

Crystal 03/07/2008 at 3:46 PM

You could always subscribe to Netflix or Blockbuster to have the movies mailed right to your door. There is a better selection, including lots of independent movies, and no driving is necessary (nor are there any late fees which is my favorite part). I think movie stores will obsolete before too long.

Gray 03/07/2008 at 5:18 PM

But the Movie Gallery was an outing with the kids –movies plus a walk. A promise of a movie could also get you through a long grocery list.

themaui 03/07/2008 at 6:55 PM

Movie Galleries are closing up all over. I saw one in Williamsburg with a “Store Closing” sign.

Stretch 03/14/2008 at 4:36 PM

“The Christian angle is a bit creepy as well. Am I going to walk in there with my very obviously gay friends and feel welcome or will the almighty dollar come before their faith?”

Wow.

And I bet you get all pissed when anyone stereotypes your gay friends the way you herein stereotype Christians.

john_m 03/26/2008 at 4:18 PM

inside Malone’s:

coming soon

teacher 03/28/2008 at 10:10 AM

Wow that looks nice, do we have an opening date? Any news or updates on the openings of anything else in the area?

Church Hill People’s News » watching new restaurants - Richmond, Virginia 08/19/2008 at 7:45 AM

[…] 6 month follow-up: the BBQ joint on Jefferson Ave is still in the works, Yall’s Place has a ABC notice in the window, a new foundation has been poured on the lot beside the former Jumpin J’s, and It Must Be Heaven has to open sometime, right? Posted at 7:44AM under community […]

5 new places to look forward to in Church Hill ‹ Church Hill People's News 09/08/2012 at 11:57 AM

[…] a step back in time to a March 2008 round-up of places that we were anticipating: Something as yet undetermined will be coming to the former site of Jumpin’ Js; rumor has BBQ […]

Watching new restaurants - Church Hill People's News | Richmond, Virginia 06/03/2016 at 3:45 PM

[…] 6 month follow-up: the BBQ joint on Jefferson Avenue is still in the works, Yall’s Place has a ABC notice in the window, a new foundation has been poured on the lot beside the former Jumpin J’s, and It Must Be Heaven has to open sometime, right? […]

The next round of good food in Church Hill - Church Hill People's News | Richmond, Virginia 11/25/2017 at 9:33 AM

[…] In 2008, we were waiting for Alamo BBQ and a handful of other joints to open up. In 2012, the “coming soon” list included Sub Rosa, Proper Pie, Dutch & Co, and WPA Bakery. Right now there are at least 7 more food spots announced or rumored. […]