visit_church_hill

House fire on 28th Street

07/18/2007 6:22 AM by

A house fire early this morning in the upstairs apartment of the storefront building at 600 North 28th Street has displaced a woman and 2 children.

From a neighbor down the street from the fire:

According to the resident, the wiring in the house was faulty and there were no smoke alarms. She said that she was lucky that she wasn’t asleep at the time or she may not have gotten herself or her children to safety.

As I have said earlier in another post, and in an editorial to the RTD, there is a great need for rental inspection programs in the city of Richmond. People are dying in this city and other municipalities because of poorly maintained properties, and no smoke detectors. I can’t see how anyone could dispute this. If any of you had seen all of this tonight you would never second guess such a program!

Our neighbors have lost everything. They are without their belongings or a home. Jim and I have started a fund for Shanta and her children. If you are interested in donating, please contact us, Jim & Laura Daab at 649-1913 or info@mysterydinner.com.


TAGGED: , , ,

28 RESPONSES

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

By commenting you are agreeing to this site's PRIVACY / USE / COPYRIGHT / DISCLAIMER