One day the old fishmarket at 25th and M Streets will be a restaurant tentatively named The Five Points Grill. The future a vision of John Sanchez, the site is right now a dusty behive of activity.
The building, built in 1905 and a fishmarket in recent memory, served as a drugstore in its heyday. A.W. Broaddus ran a drugstore at the site from 1935 to 1955. The recently removed stucco was added sometime in the 1930s, covering the original paint. The prominant Bromo-Seltzer/Rexall sign on the side was probably added in the 1930s.
Having received many calls, Sanchez made it clear that he plans to keep or restore all of the original signage. The tin ceiling of the future dining area will remain as well.
Plans for the building include an apartment upstairs and a restaurant downstairs. There are plenty of broken panes of glass and uncertain walls that need to be fixed up. The apartment will probably be available for rent in 4 or 5 months. The restaurant will probably be ready in the same timeframe, though Sanchez expects that getting all of the paperwork and licensing cleared will delay the opening. He is leary that the city will impose some sort of parking requirment, though neither the Hill Cafe or Captain Buzzy’z are required to provide parking.
Sanchez, an area resident, is no stranger to restoration and is actively looking for other commercial properties. Convinced of the direction that the area is taking, he says that he expects to see “dumpsters and port-a-potties” (indicating renovation) on Fairmount Avenue soon, “as long as money stays cheap”.