- Michael T. on Massive parcel on 25th Street changes hands, includes post office building
- East Grace on Massive parcel on 25th Street changes hands, includes post office building
- Rob Pate on Post Office
- Lee on Massive parcel on 25th Street changes hands, includes post office building
- chpn on Local man arrested in string of Henrico burglaries
- rita on Burglary on 26th Street
- K on Massive parcel on 25th Street changes hands, includes post office building
- Jeb Wash on Massive parcel on 25th Street changes hands, includes post office building
The commercial space at 325 North 27th Street / 2707 East Marshall Street began its working life over a century ago. Digging into the Hill Directories at the Main Branch of the Richmond Public Library gives a broad outline of what has been going on at that corner over the years.
The Hill Directories are a series of directories for a variety of cities with the residents listed by address and by last name (often with their employment). You can look up who lived in a particular address for a given year, and then cross-reference to see their occupation.
The oldest Hill Directory on the shelf is 1902: in that year, Philip Alto was using the store at 27th and Marshall Streets as a hardware shop of some kind. By 1915, the space was home to a confectioner (Louis Haboush), a use that it would house in some way for the next 45 years. Confectioner Louis Shuleeta held the corner for 17 years, Shibley’s Inn was on the spot for the next 20 years after that.
In 1960, the 27th Street Inn, described as a restaurant, (with it’s iconic sign) took over the spot. The Inn was open until 1979, after which the space was reincarnated as a laundrymat. The 27th Street Laundrymat closed in 1997, after which the property was vacant for over a decade.
In 2012, House of Homemade brought life back the corner, a neat continuation of the space’s history as a confectionary. House of Homemade closed in July of 2012; WPA Bakery has recently opened in the space.
Commercial uses at 325 North 27th Street (now known as 2707 East Marshall Street)
|1902||Philip Alto (hardware)|
|1906||E H McDonough|
|1915||Louis Haboush (confr), Alex Etosh (salesman)|
|1916||Louis Haboush (confr) with Miss Mary Haboush|
|1921-1938||Louis Shuleeta (confr)|
|1939-1959||Shibley’s Inn (listed under Confectionary and Ice Cream), Saml Shibley, Eug Shibley listed as counterman, Ida Shibley as a waitress, later Fred A. Shibley|
|1960||27th Street Inn / Frank Watson|
|1961||27th Street Inn / Edw Simon mgr confy – listed under “Restaurants” (not to far down the list from “The Rendezvouz” at 2800 East Broad)|
|1962||27th Street Inn / Alberta B Thompson (manager)(400 North 27th was the “Diamond Inn” restaurant)|
|1963-1979||27th Street Inn – Chas J Johnson (manager) (by 1977 400 North 27th was the “27th Street Laundrymat”)|
|1980||Johnson Laundromat (Charlie J. Johnson Jr.)|
|1981-1997||27th Street Laundrymat|
|2011-2012||House of Homemade|
TAGGED: 27th Street, 27th Street Inn, 27th Street Laundrymat, Charlie Johnson, House of Homemade, Louis Haboush, Louis Shuleeta, Shibley's Inn, WPA Bakery