- jean mcdaniel on Fairy Village on Grace vandalized, reported as trash
- JessOfRVA on Luck’s Field has both baby swings again
- Jason on Ride for Boys & Girls Clubs will bring hundreds of motorcycles through the area
- Terra Taylor on Fairy Village on Grace vandalized, reported as trash
- WarGibFA on Luck’s Field has both baby swings again
- Kevin on Bike-share system would include stations on Jefferson Avenue, East Main Street
- J R on Fairy Village on Grace vandalized, reported as trash
- crd on Luck’s Field has both baby swings again
The Black History Museum and Cultural Center, along with members of the Mitchell family, will unveil and dedicate a new grave marker at the burial site of Richmond editor, banker, and city alderman, John Mitchell, Jr. this Saturday, February 25, 2012 at 11AM at Evergreen Cemetery.
John Mitchell, Jr. (1863-1929) was born into slavery in Richmond, Virginia. As an adult, Mitchell went on to serve as editor of the Richmond Planet, as founder and president of Mechanics Savings Bank, and as city alderman for Jackson Ward. Mitchell also held national renown as president of the National Afro-American Press Association. Active in the anti-lynching campaign, Mitchell travelled throughout Virginia documenting violence against African Americans and trying to ensure equality and justice for all people. Known as a race man, Mitchell was described as someone “who would walk into the jaws of death for his people,” by the New York World. Mitchell was also largely responsible for getting the First Battalion Virginia Volunteers Armory built at 122 West Leigh Street in the 1890s; the Armory is now on the National Register of Historic Places.