by John M
The City of Richmond, Bon Secours, and RRHA are hosting the East End Charrette One-Year Anniversary celebration at the Robinson Theater, TONIGHT, June 21st at 5:30PM.
In an email from Karen of Karen Batalo Marketing and Public Relations, LLC, the Mayor’s office recently touted a list of improvements, at least of few of which predate last year’s meetings and don’t necessarily seem related:
- I-64/Nine Mile Road gateway and Oakwood Cemetery
- S Street sidewalk improvements and landscaping enhancements.
- 33rd and T Street – The Pillars at Oakmont development of 15 single-family homes.
- 822-826 North 27th Street – ElderHomes rehabbed the three homes at 822-826 North 27th Street.
- 2101 Creighton Road – Creighton Court Resource Center provides clinical care one full day per week and is open to the community an additional three half days every week. The care consists of STD screening and treatment, screening for chronic diseases, provisions of contraception, cervical and breast cancer screening, and extensive teaching and counseling on chronic disease management, family planning and healthy eating and living.
- 1001 North 25th Street – Storefront for Community Design is Richmond’s non-profit design and building resource. Bringing public and private resources to a central location to help facilitate projects for individuals, businesses and organizations, it offers practical assistance in architecture, planning, and design. The Storefront is located in a newly renovated commercial building.
There is also a nice brochure for the anniversary (PDF), which further serves to highlight the work that Bon Secours, Tricycle Gardens, and other private players are doing in the area:
Otherwise, where are we? Where is the city in this? The big lot at 25th/Nine Mile/Fairmount sits empty, going on 5+ years. Sunny Market is empty, Ocean Grocery thrives. Same same same as it ever was… I asked last spring: the plan shows vision, but now what?? In 2006 then-Councilwoman McQuinn said we’d see a grocery store at 25th and Nine Mile by 2008…. Will we even get a new Chimbo Mart out of this time around? Am I missing something worth celebrating?
June 21, 2011 at 11:30 am