The house at 1510 23rd Street burned dramatically this evening. No word on cause or possible inhabitants.
Firefighters were evacuating the nearby houses, while the house next door was already taking damage.
Posted in community
Tagged 23rd Street, Fairmount, fire
Here is what I heard from neighbors. It started as grease fire. The occupants got out but the man was burned pretty badly. They took a man, woman and child to the hospital.
I have some video that I’m going to edit and get to you for this article.
I hope everyone is ok.
sheesus! what a shame.
When row houses are not good…
Post #4: Did you watch the film at 11? (we saw wwbt12)
The Richmond City firefighters did an AWESOME job of keeping the fire contained to one structure. It’s not uncommon for house fires to jump to adjacent structures in the Fan and Oregon Hill. I have friends who had a fire jump to their 2nd story bedroom from a neighbor’s back porch just last year in the Fan.
I’m truly sorry if the fire on 24th jumped to the next door neighbors, but from all appearances, the city Fire Dept did everything possible to prevent that.
Video is available here if you want to embed it: http://vimeo.com/4956983
[...] preceded a house fire in Church Hill last night. Posted by Ross at [...]
Great work bring us the story, Daniel! And kudos to the fire department for its fast, professional response!
Hard to say the photos are “awesome”. I happen to know the owner of this home and the family who rented. Lets not forget there was an infant who suffered from smoke inhalation a father with second degree burns and a mother with other injuries. Not to mention a family without a home now. And who knows if they had renters insurance, if not..
Great job RFD, they were all over that shit.
DJ… Not to say they didn’t have renters insurance but I would venture to bet that the majority of people renting in Church Hill DO NOT have it.
Sometimes the owner’s don’t either. I knew of one who lost a house due to renters having a wood stove fire. His insurance would not cover a “wood stove” accident so he was out of a house.
I don’t think ‘awesome’ was a word used to say that the event was great. For me, the pictues related a terrible happening. There are so many empty lots in Church Hill and those photos echo what has happened here again and again over the years.
So sorry for the people hurt in this fire and your friend that owns the home. I’m relieved to hear that they made it out with their lives.
[...] the Richmond City Council Reporter & Telegraph and the Daniel Farrell’s video reporting (for example). They are each doing interesting work with video; you can help get the news with a video camera, a [...]
The house has been demolished sometime over the past week: