The UHCA voted approximately 25 to 2 in favor of a motion in support of the proposed Shockoe Center development, with 1 abstention, at tonight’s meeting at Cedar Street Baptist Church. Discussion touched upon both citizen desire to see Shockoe Bottom developed and thriving and apprehension of the city being held ultimately accountable for funding the project.
Also from the meeting:
- A stop work order has been put in on the corner store @ Tulip & Venable, no kitchen for now. And it is officially for sale.
- Discussion of zoning, with a recap of last nights CHA meeting. Union Hill could be rezoned to R-63 by July.
- A recent survey of the neighborhood shows a strong majority in favor of a Union Hill Historic District. Next step is next CAR meeting.
- Crime report from Lt.Laino from Sector 111: no crime trends in Union Hill. It’s getting warm – lock your sheds! Already had 1 attempted lawnmower theft 2009.
- Interesting fact from Betty Squire: whomever gets elected to the City Council 7th District Seat in November will be sworn in very soon after, they will not have to wait until January.